Thursday, March 20, 2014

Welcome to Birmingham Oakwood School!



I count last Tuesday as one of the best days ever.  I was so fortunate to join four other speakers from KIDS  IN BIRMINGHAM 1963 as we talked with the Oakwood School 7th and 8th graders from North Hollywood CA.  Oh my, what a wonderful and powerful meeting that was. My fellow speakers all experienced the Civil Rights Movement in 1963 in different ways. The students came all this way to travel to Montgomery, Birmingham, and then Mississippi and Little Rock, as part of a very special school diversity immersion project.  I was so very impressed with the thoughtful questions these students asked and count meeting them as a very special day  for me.

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

A good crowd portrait, Virginia. And it's a good thing that the students had thoughtful questions.

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to hear the speakers. I was born there in 1963. My mom used to tell me stories about what when on back then.