Thursday, July 3, 2014

Bethanne


From time to time I think maybe I should close this blog, that I've run dry of photos to take here. Then I  meet a new friend, and I'm ready to go for another 6 years!

Welcome to my friend Bethanne Hill's studio.  She's lived just blocks from me for years, and I've heard wonderful things about her for so long, but she and I just connected through Facebook in the last few months.  She is one fabulous artist but she's more than that.  Bethanne is a tireless advocate for Avondale Elementary, Avondale Park and our city.  She's funny, compassionate, thoughtful and just a sweet, gentle soul.  Lately, she's been kind enough to include me on some exciting neighborhood field trips and we've had some big fun!
  
Yesterday I visited her little studio behind her home in Forest Park.  I sat on a stool while she put the finishing touches on this family pew, commissioned by friends.  We talked about how she got started, what inspires her ( aborigine art)  and "the process". I'm a frustrated painter,  so I always want to know the dirt on that.  She painted, and we talked and occasionally I had to stop to take a few shots of her hilarious dogs. You will have to come back another day to see them!






6 comments:

This is Belgium said...

So many interesting people in the state of Alabama. I am delighted to learn about her.
Tell her 'hi' from This is Belgium.
Will be in AL in a few days and regret very much that I will not have opportunity to travel 'North' to see you girls!
Anni

biebkriebels said...

That sounds like a nice visit.

Luis Gomez said...

Beautiful shot Virginia.

FancyHorse said...

Please don't close your blog! Birmingham has so much, and I don't mind some "reruns" as well.

amy collins said...

You're both talented, interesting, wonderful souls! Happy to know you both! Wonderful pew, Bethanne!

William Kendall said...

I like her style!