Monday, January 9, 2012

My Suitcase is Packed


I still remember the Samsonite train case ( a smaller version of the one here) my grandparents bought me as a pre-teen.  Zoe's Consignment Shop on Clairmont Avenue won my heart with this display.  I pack for Paris much lighter now, but back then flying was I think, a lot more special. I have fond memories of my very fashionable mom visiting us in Neenah, Wisconsin in November '71.  She got off the plane dressed in a wool coat, heels, and mink pill box!  Those were the days!

11 comments:

Olivier said...

sympa ta petite tour eiffel, va falloir que je trouve le meme mais avec l'ESB ;o))

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Hope you still have that mink pillbox hat. It would look très chic on your next trip to Paris.

biebkriebels said...

Those were the days, travelling was much more romantic then. Love those old suitcases. A mink pillbox you can't even wear nowadays, you get the "furrpolice" running after you.

Luis Gomez said...

Beautiful image Virginia!.

PeterParis said...

Those are not the shoes you are bringing to Paris? :-)

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

I also remember the heavy suitcases, and hat box, that my parents had when I was young. And the horror that my mother experienced when my brother returned from college (in 1967), getting off the airplane in blue jeans, because he did not dress up for traveling.

I think of what travel was like for people of my parents generation when I see how people dress for airplane flights today -- especially for flights to Vegas.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I bet you nearly tripped over yourself when you saw this window display.
Perfectly You~

Daryl said...

Oh wow .. it was made for you!

TheChieftess said...

Totally you!!! When are you leaving???

Bob Crowe said...

You go girl, literally and figuratively. Looks like the weather there will be tolerable. Have a glass of champagne on the plane for me and let us know when there are pix to see.

Petrea Burchard said...

I'm glad you get to go again.

What, were you running out of Paris pics?