Friday, June 29, 2012

Helping Hands


VSA of Alabama pairs 100 community artists with over 150 emerging artists, youngsters and adults living with disabilities and chronic illnesses.  Last Sunday, Birmingham pediatrician Dr. John Cortopassi teamed up with VSA's Art Partners and opened his office to his very special patients.  There was a whole lot of painting going on with plenty of encouragement from Dr. Cortopassi, not to mention the grand finale...the ice cream truck! Thank you Mary Jane Coker and VSA for asking me to be the photographer.  I don't know when I've been so moved or had so much fun at the same time.  I asked Mary Jane to select the photo and this is the one she chose.  If I play my cards right I might get to join them again for their monthly sessions at their southside offices.

NOTE: August 19th is their annual Live Auction fundraiser at B&A Warehouse  where you can purchase some of these masterpieces!

8 comments:

Andy said...

Your photo today is is feel good photo. It kick started my day. Thank you Virginia.

Maya said...

We were just talking about finger painting while Janet was dying my hair!

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

Did you happen to meet my friend Laura Simmons and her daughter Allie there? They're both redheads. :) I love VSA's Art Partners!

Pat said...

What a lovely thing to do.

TheChieftess said...

Fabulous photo V!!! It definitely captures the essence of an art day!!!

Birdman said...

Loved the feel and smell(strange?) of fingerpaints. Mom hung a few of my masterpieces too.

Mary Jane Coker said...

Katherine - Alli is one of our Honorary Chairmen for the Showcase/Auction this year! What a precious child!

Nathalie said...

oh how I understand your joy !