Tuesday, October 14, 2008

It's Showtime!



The other day Ming I asked on his NYC blog, "So have you seen any live shows lately?"  I gave an emphatic YES.  Saturday I was in the audience for the Birmingham Children's Theatre's performance of " The City Mouse, and the Country Mouse" in the Wee Theatre.  Now one of America's largest professional theatre groups for young people, this fabulous (non profit)  group performs year round for schools and the public.  They don't just hang around in Birmingham all the time either.  They take it on the road for schools across the state that otherwise would not have access to live performances of this calibre.  I received the grand tour of every nook and cranny backstage by their exuberant Director of Development and Marketing, Nancy Jones.  If  Nancy can't get you excited about BCT, nobody can!  I have been invited back to photograph rehearsals and behind the scenes action. I can't wait.

Saturday, the audience was a lively group of youngsters and their parents.  I think this  four mouse cast got a standing ovation at the end,  but it's hard to tell with that many wiggly kiddos in one place!  Afterwards in the lobby,  the cast signed autographs and posed for pictures with each and every child.  Birmingham is so fortunate to have the BCT in our midst.  What an asset to our community.


The Tune du Jour is "New York, New York" by Mondo Wells
( I couldn't get Liza so let's be happy with this version)

 PARIS COUNTDOWN ... 33 DAYS!


Discover Mondo Wells!

24 comments:

Olivier said...

la première photo est magnifique, tu as su prendre l'instant, la concentration pendant la préparation du spectacle, j'adore.
PARIS COUNTDOWN ... 33 DAYS....Paris t'attend.

the first picture is beautiful, you managed to take the moment, the concentration during the preparation of the show, I love.
PARIS COUNTDOWN ... 33 days .... Paris awaits you.

Webradio said...

Hello Virginia !

Nice photos, today...
It is good for these kinds "playing" theater...

Yes good !

alice said...

So you like mice!

Eki said...

V, the top photo is just wonderful! THe moment, the lighting and tone, angle and composition .... I LIKE it.

Eki said...

Oh, and your yesterday's post (the shillouette) is just wonderful. I like the human elements and the geometry of the steps(?). Black and white tone is perfect for this shot.

Diederick Wijmans said...

School and theatre make a wonderful combination. I like those photos which bring me back to my own school days in such occasions!!

This morning I have sent out the photos and the CD to you, Virginia! You will also find "New York New York"!!

PJ said...

Well, if portraiture isn't your gift I don't know what is. You are so face friendly, Virgingia. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Virginia said...

On my blog it's not what you know, but WHO you know! HA These two little cuties in pink are the daughters of friends who I happened to see at the play and were too cute to pass up!

Jilly said...

Wonderful intensity in that first photo and love the happiness in the second.

Halcyon said...

Neat! I love photos of actors preparing for the show. There's something fascinating about the transformation.

Anonymous said...

I love the first photo, the intensity is wonderful, but it does remind me of when my little brother did plays in High school!

Bob Crowe said...

How charming! The light, composition and DOF are perfect. Of course the subject couldn't be more magnetic. Very good work.

Last comment before boarding. I'll check in sometime from somewhere.

Unknown said...

What a great backstage shot!!! Looking froward to see your behind the scenes set of photos! :-)

Jane Hards Photography said...

Lights,camera,ready for my close up Mr D... I will cease. Cute kids and happy is the artist who can do their own make up. W do have Am. Dram here usually at the local school.

Can the entourage please call at the island east of Ireland, West of England and collect a liitle one for the Paris trip. Merci Beaucoup.

Virginia said...

Join the crowd B.! I'm calling it Motley Crew Goes to Paris. Peter, hang on to your hat!HA

Marie-Noyale said...

They chose the perfect photograph!!
Great colors on the close up.

Tanya Breese said...

Wow, that is so cool! Congrats and can't wait to see your photo shoot! Great photos today, I used to love City Mouse, Country Mouse as a kid! I'll have to pick that up at the library to read to my littles!

Bergson said...

A portrait everything in color

;-))

marley said...

This is a brilliant group, and all in your community. I really like the first photo today. I look forward to seeing what your back stage tour shows.

Coltrane_lives said...

Mondo, Liza, Frank...hey! It's New York, New York! Always makes me want to start dancing like a Rockette...okay, maybe in my next life! In another 33 days you'll be humming "Parisian Thoroughfare" (okay, I'd be the one humming Clifford Brown's tune if I were headed across the pond, but you get the idea!) These kids (big kids included) looked like they had fun mixing it at the Children's Theatre. Have a good one Virginia.

Kate said...

The top photo is a beautiful candid shot. Lighting is perfect!

Rob said...

How fun to see the children's theater!

tr3nta said...

The first photo is absolutely a pro stupendous photo!!!...

Janet said...

I used to read that story to my children. Great that you got these backstage photos and a tour!