Sunday, November 30, 2008

Hot Dog Man


Sammy Graphos

Meet my friend Sam.  Sam has been selling the world's best hot dogs in downtown Homewood for close to 40 years!  Sam and his wife Sue are two of my dearest friends, but I can be totally impartial when it comes to rating his dogs.  Everybody south of town knows Sam's Super Samwiches.  It's one of those shotgun hot dog stands that has customers standing elbow to elbow during rush hour.  A few years ago he got real fancy and put some metal chairs and tables outside on the sidewalk. Paris meets Homewood I guess.  Oh and I almost forgot, along with the best hot dogs, hamburgers, sandwiches and chili, you also get a friendly greeting and a chance to visit with Sam (if he's not off playing golf) and his team of "dog slingers".  In addition to feeding hungry customers Sam, has a heart of gold and generous spirit, giving so much back to our community.  He is a treasure for sure.   Sam's Super Samwiches, a little slice of Americana.  Now I've made myself hungry.  I'm off to get a "Special"- all the way...or maybe a slaw dog...or a hamburger might be good ...........

Please Visit My New Blog 
A Photo Diary of My Recent Trip To Paris

The Tune du Jour is "Let's Twist Again"  By Chubby Checker!


Bottom photo: The "apple of Sam's eye", his granddaughter Kate (in the front) performing at the Greek Food Festival earlier this fall.
 
                              

Discover Chubby Checker!

18 comments:

Tash said...

Sam has a very kind face. I'd be there often. The prices are unbelievable too. Such pretty girls & I love the pastel Easter-egg dress colors.

Pat said...

I do love a good "dog," the four-legged kind or the ones with lots of mustard and relish. I'd love to visit Sam, who indeed looks very kind and gentle.

Unknown said...

Stunning photo under the title of the blog!!!
The girls looks so cute! :-)

Bergson said...

sam'portrait is sympathetic

RoeH said...

Among other reasons, that makes me want to come to Alabama. Mmmm...

PJ said...

Homewood is lucky to have Sam. People who are there doing their jobs everyday, creating community are a treasure and those sweet girls in their pretty dresses are adorable.

Jane Hards Photography said...

This is what the dailies should be about, and I will never be able to create. Two community Birmingham images but both with a very humann connection to the photographer.

Z said...

Samwiches? Cute!

marley said...

Great portrait photo and a slice of your community, what more could we want?! I know, a photo of the hot dog!!

Janet said...

I've never been fond of hot dogs, but Sam's sound wonderful!

Rob said...

I find the food ath places like these the best comfort food available!

Virginia said...

thanks everyone. Come on down to Homewood, AL and have one of Sam's dogs. His secret sauce is the best kept secret in the USA
V

Anonymous said...

Once again, i must second that emotion! Hard to put a man like Sammy into words, eh? you forgot to tell about how he never wears socks, maybe at funerals? How his daughter and I used to walk to downtown Homewood on Saturdays for lunch, eat as many hotdogs as I could (mustard, ketchup, pickles), then we would head on down to Barbs Hallmark store for sticker shopping! Gosh how i love this hotdog man! A true thread in the fabric of our city! Love ya Sammy!-Kathleen

Virginia said...

Kat,
If that doesn't make Sam cry nothing will!
Mums

Anonymous said...

you really captured his personality in the photo.

A good guy all around.

I love the place I mentioned Sam's in a blog a few weeks ago and got a great response. He has a way of not only making the best dogs and burgers in town but really connecting with people.

Virginia said...

Foodie
Oh you are so right. Had a dog and some chili with Sue and Sam just today. Always a great place to meet old friends, which I did, and have a good dog!!!
V

Lisa Marie said...

Sweet Sam and precious Kate - send them my love!

Just Roaming The Cities said...

I love the girls dancing....