Saturday, June 6, 2009

Birmingham's Iron Man



* I know you're enjoying Jean Reed's great photos and commentary as she fills in for me this week. I told you I'd leave you in good hands!

Virginia has introduced you to Vulcan. As a child we all looked to see if Vulcan had a green light or a red light in his right hand---representing traffic fatalities in our city for that day. Vulcan was restored a few years ago and the light was removed and the original spear was placed in Vulcan’ s right hand. During Vulcan’s restoration, Vulcan’s head was on view at the Art Museum. Below is a picture of my class during the year that Vulcan was being restored! What a thrill of a lifetime to see Vulcan up close and personal!!!



Jean Reed - Guest Photographer

8 comments:

Maya said...

That story about Vulcan is great! I wish we'd gotten to see him when we visted.

Hilda said...

I'm gald you posted the photo of Vulcan's head with the kids, Jean. I didn't realize the statue was that huge! Amazing!

Kitty said...

aw...What a huge head, compared to your students!

Tom said...

Excellent post... love that head.

Virginia said...

Hey Jean, you're doing a great job here while I"m loving every minute of my stay in Paris.
AOT,
Virg

Jane Hards Photography said...

As V wil tell you, I'm from the other Birmingham originally and we that too has an Iron Man. He's not as impressive as this fellow though. Love the head shot, the eyes so expressive.

Rob said...

What an excellent opportunity for your art class to be up close to this work and witness the restoration process.

Anonymous said...

Just an update---Birmingham celebrated vulcan's birthday last weekend---105 years old!!! He's quite a guy!

DL
Yes, it was a chance of a lifetime to see Vulcan up close and personal during the restoration! It's especially meaningful when those of us living in Homewood maily see Vulcan's backside!!!