Friday, June 12, 2009

The Storyteller


If you've ever been to Five Points South , you've seen this fountain. This piece, along with various other animals, titled The Storyteller, transformed an ordinary fountain into something very special. The artist is one of Birmingham's most talented sculptors, Frank Fleming. It caused a stir when it was installed but I think everyone's calmed down now. I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Frank. He lived only a block from me for many years. I chatted with him a few times as he walked down Saulter Road with his big straw hat on. What a kind and gentle man he was. I regret that he moved from my neighborhood before I got a chance to visit his studio and see his wonderful gardens. A very talented man and I am proud to have met him.

I'm still in Paris but am posting here for a few days before I turn it over to another Birmingham photograper!

12 comments:

Olivier said...

surprenante cette sculpture, un être hybride. belle création et belle photo avec la danse des gouttes d'eaux devant
amazing this sculpture, a hybrid being. nice creation and nice photograph with the dance of the drops of waters in front of

B SQUARED said...

Impressive piece of work.

Anonymous said...

He's adorable.

Alex said...

Hi Virginia, Hope your having a lovely time, brill shot, i love the way you have captured the water droplets.

Virginia said...

Alex, thanks but I am thinking I probably didn't do the droplets the "right" way but that's all I could do!HA

B2, I can't leave messages on your blog either. Sorry. I do stop by and read though.

AH, Not as cute as the guy with the great .....buns though right?HA

Ken Mac said...

fantastic water effect!

Anonymous said...

I love this photos. As to Frank Fleming, I guess you know he moved to Huntsville? I had the pleasure of going to his home in Homewood several times. I saw him right before he moved.
Sara

siva // ശിവ said...

The story is great....

FireLight said...

V, I have not completely abandoned you! This post ties in with the one I did last night---at least the story telling aspect. I know this statue and love it! Great topic! Great photo! Bon jour (with Southern accent)!

Jane Hards Photography said...

The more I see of V's Birmingham the more I'm struck by the walth of talented creative artists. Those that capture the images and those that create the art for view.

Harriet said...

How did you capture those water droplets....that's a rhetorical question because I wouldn't understand it even if you went to great length in explaining it to me.

A really great shot. I'm also enjoying your guest photographers. The more I see of Birmingham, the more I want to visit.

Rachel said...

I posted about this fountain yesterday!

ramblingrobinsons.blogspot.com