Saturday, June 20, 2009

Let Us All Eat Cake, Again!


Well today is Birmingham Alabama Daily Photo's First Birthday, so drag out the cake and balloons and let's get this party started!

Actually this cake is a very special one. I was volunteering at the Birmingham Museum of Art last month, and Janet Allen from Angel Cakes and Confections was doing an Artbreak demonstration. The BMA has recently acquired the Butten Wedgewood Collection. Add this to the Museum's already renowned Beeson Collection, and that makes the BMA's Wedgewood Collection the largest in the United States. Janet created an exquisite Wedgewood replica while the audience sat mesmerized! I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to photograph the artist at work! You might remember that Angel Cakes helped me celebrate my birthday last October. Small world.

I now have one year under my belt. Please bear with me as I reminisce over the past 12 months. There are so many people to thank. Rambling Round in Selma and Tom Wigley, you got me up and running ( not to mention answering some of the dumbest blog questions anyone has ever asked ) and I'll be forever grateful. I hesitate to name names because I don't want to leave anyone out, but Bob Crowe, Snapper, Diederick, and Babooshka, you have helped me hone my photography skills in so many ways. Your critiques and encouragement have been invaluable. My producer/manager Wayne, well you've put up with a lot of my foolishness and whining and you're STILL my friend. For all of my faithful readers that stopped by and those that have also left such nice comments, oh my , how you've kept me going. Last year at this time I didn't have a clue how to make a blog and my Mac Dudes at the Apple Store, especially John O., patiently walked me through it step by step . Now I'm their " Old Timer's Techie Poster Child"! Thanks to all of you for broadening my horizons, showing me your beautiful cities on a daily basis and in person ( Peter!) , sharing your expertise and being such wonderful friends. It is hard to imagine that in one year, I have made so many friends around the world. Merci beaucoup mes amis!

Now, let's cut that cake!
V

P.S. And Eric, le roi de CDP, thanks for starting this whole City Daily Photo Blog business!

The Tunes du Jour are by the Beatles and The Four Seasons today!


21 comments:

Jilly said...

Now that's some cake! But then you have some blog. Always fascinating, always beautiful photography and the added bonus of Paris Through my Lens. Happy birthday, Virginia. Open that champers!

Virginia said...

Jilly,
How could I have forgotten the champagne?? I'm sure Peter will remember to bring some!HA

cieldequimper said...

Joyeux anniversaire ! :-)

Judy - So California said...

V, I didn't realize you were so YOUNG! or that I caught you quite close to the beginning. Loved every moment and photo and description. You've taken me so many places I'd have never gotten to without you. Thanks for the memories and, please, a toast to many, many more!

PeterParis said...

A real Wedgewood!! Let's just cut the cake virtually; much too nice to be cut in pieces! What about champagne instead?

B SQUARED said...

Congratulations! Hope to get there someday. Enjoy the cake.

Thérèse said...

Congratulations Virginia! I am sure you found a way to celebrate wherever you are in France!
The cake you are presenting is to eat with the eyes only!

Lori Skoog said...

A very beautiful cake and a good reason to celebrate!
Congratulations!

Wayne said...

Just a small piece for me, I'm watching my figure.

Happy, Happy, V!

Anonymous said...

A moment on the lips, Wayne, a lifetime on the hips.

Katie said...

What a perfect cake to celebrate your first anniversary blogging! It's an amazing cake, so it fits right in with all your amazing photos. It's been such fun learning all about Birmingham, and sharing your love of France. Keep up the great work and I look forward to many more years of fun!

Harriet said...

Happy, Happy Anniversary! Your blog has certainly made me want to visit Birmingham, and one of these days, don't be surprised if Richard and I come traveling over your way.

That's one beautiful cake. Peter, set out a champagne flute for me, too!

Maya said...

I'm glad you've become "their Old Timer's Techie Poster Child!" It's been fun reading your posts and looking at your wonderful photos. Keep it up!

Jill said...

Happy Anniversary V. It's been a pleasure to see and learn about Birmingham through your blog. btw, did the Cheyenne Diner show up yet?

Char said...

beautiful!!! too gorgeous to eat

Virginia said...

Thank you everyone for your warm wishes. I have loved every minute of this blog. It's been a lot of work, but it has pushed me to really get out there and photograph my city. Thank you for your friendship!!
V
PS I will be back in B'ham by tomorrow night. SIGH. I'll be back here the middle of July. See you in B'ham!

Paula said...

Félicitations, et Joyeux anniversaire à vous, Mlle Virginie!

Let us know when the book is published! Bon voyage.

Paula said...

(That's some cake, looks scrumptious.)

Tash said...

Wooo-hooo!!! Let's eat cake! congratulations for a superb year of posts. (The cake is really unbelievable.)
Hope you have a good flight home.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Did you save me a slice? Typical Manx time I'm late for the party. Huge congratulations on the first of I hope many wonderful years. Coming from the UK B'ham originally seeing yours through your eyes has been an eye opener. Also seen the emergence for me a superb photographer, especially of people that is often lacking in this soulless world.

Halcyon said...

Happy belated blogiversary!

That's a stunning cake!!!