Monday, June 8, 2009

"The Club"



* Jean Reed, my guest photographer this week, taught in the Homewood School Sytem with me although we were at different schools. I am thinking Jean might have a blog of her own in her future!!!

Once a month the retired teachers--- from the Elementary school where I taught for 30 plus years ---get together at The Club for lunch. We call ourselves R.E.S.T. (Retired Edgewood School Teachers!) Teachers never get to enjoy lunch! So now that we are all retired, we have a most enjoyable lunch with adult conversation and no interruptions to calm down rowdy children in a school lunchroom!!! There is no lack of conversation as we catch up and reminisce while dining with a fabulous view of our city! The Club is the site for many parties, luncheons, wedding receptions and civic events in Birmingham.


Jean Reed - Guest Photographer

11 comments:

Olivier said...

belle enseigne.

Louis la Vache said...

hee hee hee ....
«Louis» can visualize a black 1952 Buick Roadmaster in the drive, an elegantly dressed couple (both smoking Lucky Strikes), getting out of the car and heading into "The Club."

Janet said...

Lovely view of the city from The Club. Thank you, Sub!

D said...

Beautiful vista! I'm enjoying your posts as V's sub.
It's so nice that the retired teachers get together to 'lunch.' I know you probably really miss opening milk cartons and ketchup packets! ha!

Halcyon said...

Sounds like a wonderful club to belong to! I have my golf club, but the dining room doesn't have such spectacular views.

Virginia said...

I'd like an order of fried shrimp please! What wonderful memories we all have of dining at lunch or dinner at THE CLUB. Great one today Jean.
V

Char said...

always such a beautiful view from there! great shot

Rob said...

i can only imagine the stories told at the Club.

PJ said...

So, V is still getting subs. I've done that job and I have to say, payback is hell! I remember how mean we were to subs. I hope we're being a lot nicer.
The Club looks like a great place, soooo retro. I'll have to check it out when I visit.

Virginia said...

PJ,
I still can't leave comments on your blog but I'm lurking! Thanks for leaving Jean a comment. As a former teacher, she's use to low pay!HA
Hasn't she done a great job!!
V

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I am posting the recipe for THE orange rolls, and needed a photo of THE Club. I knew just where to find it.
I hope you don't mind, I have linked back to your fabulous blog.
If needed... I'll bribe you with orange rolls :-)
Sandi