Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Blogging Against Violence - Part I



As I have said many times, this blog has opened many doors for me and introduced me to many wonderful people and causes here in my hometown. Today was certainly no exception. I was asked to participate in the first ever Blogging Against Violence. NBC-13 and The Women's Fund joined forces and pulled off an amazing event. They brought together area bloggers , as well as NBC -13's coverage, and provided us with an outstanding number of professionals that were available for interviews from 3:00 -7:00 today. The lineup was impressive. Dedicated police officers, lawyers, victims of domestic violence that have stepped forward to tell their stories, judges, and agencies from city to statewide that provide the much needed services ( with never enough funding). I can assure you that four hours was not enough time to hear their stories and witness the tireless work they do for our women and children that are the victims of domestic violence. Hearing the cold hard facts was not easy at times, but we all need to hear them! I have an 8:00 deadline ( hence my Thursday blog is coming to you on Wed. night!) so tonight I am posting some photographs of the event. In the days to come I will highlight some of the dedicated people I was privileged to meet today.


As you can see, some blogged as they interviewed. You know me well enough to know I can't talk and do anything else at the same time!

22 comments:

Lowell said...

Kudos to all involved in this most important work!

Bob Crowe said...

This is an important cause, especially in this strange country, but I wonder if it had an effect. Maybe it was enough that it inspired those who attended, but I suspect that those who need to be influenced are not big blog readers. Somebody, possibly Elvis Costello, said that writing about music is like dancing about architecture. And blogging about violence?

My Thursday post is about a symbol of a good cause. I don't think many people saw it.

Virginia said...

Bob,
I do see your point. That said, however the message gets out there maybe it will make an inpact. Our city needs funding and maybe this will heighten awareness. Baby steps here. Our county is in an horrific financial crisis. Funding for these agencies/ programs are in danger. Anything that will call attention here in Birmingham is needed.
V

Cloudia said...

An interesting new path to action!

Aloha, Friend!

Comfort Spiral

Anonymous said...

Blogging carries the voice beyond the village. I think it makes a difference.

Good job, my friend.

Virginia said...

AH,
Oh my hope is that it carries across my state. The need for funding is critical. There is such a need and so many committed people , but we have to find a way to help them.

Cloudia.
Action is what we must have! Thank you.
V

Petrea Burchard said...

Awareness is a big deal, too. What a mind-blowing experience, V.

Laurie Allee said...

Well done, girlfriend.

Judy - So California said...

V, Thanks for sharing this. Sometimes word spreads in amazing ways - you never know. Look forward to seeing more info here. Good for you to help.

Pat said...

Hi, Virginia. Have to agree with Bob, but the cause overall is a good one. Here in Belgrade quite recently there have been several vicious hate attacks, and people were horrified. There's a Stop Violence movement here, too.

Olivier said...

des débats pour une bonne cause, je suis pas d'accord avec Bob, je pense que de toutes conversations il en sort quelque chose, maintenant il faut poursuivre et faire bouger les institutions (et dans n'importe quel pays, c'est pas facile ;( )

Maya said...

Wow, it is great that you were asked to participate! You are becoming quite the blogging glitterati, aren't you? :-)

jb said...

You know me well enough to know I can't talk and do anything else at the same time

What was that about Gerald Ford not being able to...and...at the same time?

jb said...

Correction.

Should be "Gerald Ford's"

Possesive gerund and all that

Lori Skoog said...

What an opportunity. I look forward to your photos.

Thérèse said...

Let's grab any opportunity.
Violence is on the rise over here. Another kid died the other day from parents abuse.

Daryl said...

Good for you! And thanks for posting this ... opening eyes is the first step

Petrea Burchard said...

Movements start small. That's why they call it "grassroots."

2views2day said...

Incredible ---- and I love your Art Museum Banner Photo...I am inspired!

jusdealem said...

It's wonderful that you could be a part of this. The blogs may not reach many of the victims, but they can reach needed donators and funders, which I'm sure is very needed.

Unknown said...

What a great initiative! And very funny last comment on your post! :-)

Emily Rushing said...

As one of the writers for the night, I agree with Virginia that 4 hours -- or even 44 hours -- would not really have been enough. And it was so hard to hear that great work going on now is threatened by funding cuts. Thanks for a visual reference point for the occasion, which I hope will move others to continue the conversation -- and then take action.