Saturday, October 24, 2009

Shelter


Since it's beginning, this blog has been all about showcasing the good things, that good people are doing across my city. Today is no exception. Back in 1983, First Presbyterian Church in downtown Birmingham began giving temporary shelter and assistance to homeless women and their children in the basement of their church. Today the church in partnership with other area churches operates First Light Shelter for women and children. Countless volunteers from across this city prepare meals every day, provide overnight assistance and serve in so many other capacities for this worthwhile ministry. I've had the privilege of serving meals with members of my church, Independent Presbyterian. These women are all facing circumstances in their lives that I cannot begin to imagine, yet they are always smiling and so appreciative. First Light, a place of "community, opportunity and hope".

"In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love."
Mother Teresa

Note: For my Birmingham readers, there is a real need for winter coats for these ladies and their children. You may drop them off at First Light, 2100 4th Avenue North.

18 comments:

magicpolaroid said...

wow nice shot, a lot of people around us need help, that u write is very important, thanx 4 sharing!
Luis

VP said...

Very good post, sober image.

Saretta said...

That's an important service, I'm glad it exists.

brattcat said...

Thank you, Virginia...1. for the work you're doing in the community, 2. for this beautiful blog, 3. for being number 101.

Meals by Misty said...

I am so glad you informed us about this shelter. I will definitely get some winter coats dropped off today! Thanks so much V!

Daryl said...

Here in NYC we have a similar coat drive .. brava to you for supporting this wonderful cause

Unknown said...

Great post, V.!

LR Photography said...

At least there are some good things in this world.

Char said...

love that place - do they still have the bakery?

PJ said...

I'm glad your church is so responsive to the needy. Escambia county is one of the poorest in Florida and there are so many needs. And so many churches who don't want anyone on campus that doesn't "fit in". I'm not naming names, just making an observation.

Virginia said...

Paula,
I originally had added a verse that my grandmother said to me over and over, "Judge not that you be not judged". Oh my, words that we all need to remember.
V

Bob Crowe said...

There is a close link in the feelings of this picture and Paula's Pensacola post today. Loss and restoration. The lighting in this shot is so expressive.

Lowell said...

So nice to hear about this. A great cause!

Virginia said...

Bob,
I struggled with this photo. I wanted something more uplifting but this was what I had. I hope it reflects a safe haven.
V

-K- said...

I haven't said it in a while but the photos you post under your banner are always excellent.

Virginia said...

Kevin,
What a compliment. Your photos are an inspiration pour moi.
V

Diederick Wijmans said...

Such an important message! Thank V!

Margaret Gosden said...

Love the clarity of your monochromes - quite inspiring!