Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Coming In For A Landing


Well as most of you know, Birmingham had a huge surprise yesterday morning. Mother Nature had the last laugh on the meteorologists and dumped about 3 inches of the white stuff on our fair city in about two hours time. To say it caught everyone off guard is an understatement. All over B'ham, people have abandoned their cars and tried to walk home or sought shelter, and many school children and teachers are sleeping in schools tonight. It's a hot mess. I'm fortunate,
 as I got to the grocery store and back home in record time and spent the rest of the day taking periodic trips outside for photos. I spied this fat cardinal and stalked him for as long as he'd let me. I got several shots but this one of his approach to the bird feeder was my favorite.

12 comments:

Lynette said...

Whoa, that does sound like a mess. And it is easy to see why this photo is a favorite. I don't think I've ever seen a cardinal this fat, Virginia. Thanks for sharing!

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Beautiful red bird! Enjoy the snow if possible :)

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Beautiful red bird! Enjoy the snow if possible :)

Dina said...

Snow?! Wow! Be careful out there.

Great action shot of the cardinal.

Luis Gomez said...

Nice shot V. Watching the news.

William Kendall said...

That is a wonderful capture, Virginia!

I saw on the news this morning that Atlanta's been shut down...

Daryl said...

that is truly a special shot, Virg ..

Kristie said...

Hi V,

We got more ice than snow in the Panhandle. Although, I did find some snow around my ferns. Sigh...I hope they all don't die. Atlanta really is a mess!! I saw photos this a.m.

Having lived most of our married life in the Midwest and having had to deal with snow from November through April, I can tell you that if you aren't use to having snow it can be pretty awful. Love this photo. I love cardinals!

RedPat said...

What a great shot of him with his wee feet tucked up like that!
I just saw the news with the conditions down there - kids staying at the school all night and people sleeping in grocery stores. What a horrible mess when you aren't ready for it and aren't accustomed to snow.

Stuart said...

I'll bet you got some great shots. Still waiting for the white stuff here. Be careful and stay warm !

-K- said...

Wonderful! And even tho its an endless hassle, having a nice soft background of white-grey certainly accents the landing.

Stay warm, V!

Bob Crowe said...

Wow, what perfect timing. How long is it to opening day?

I wonder how that Mini in the background did in the snow.