Friday, January 7, 2011

The Firehouse Shelter - Guest Photographer Doug Stocks


This week some of my friends are sharing their photos with you.  You probably remember Doug Stocks when he subbed for me during my 2009 jaunt to Paris.  Doug is a good friend, mentor and one fine photographer.  I recently had the privilege of compiling a book of some of his images for him to share with his family and friends. This one from Birmingham's Firehouse Shelter is one of my favorites.

The Firehouse Shelter was founded in 1983 as an outreach program for the Cooperative Downtown Ministries.  Started for just 12 men and now provides food and shelter for 175 homeless.  Our city is so fortunate to have such wonderful programs that provide for those in our community that so desperately need our help.

6 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

I think what we have here is a fantastic photo of a fantastic place.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Doug has some stunning photographs and this one comes with a story! Thanks for this guest post on a much-needed outreach... great building.

Genie

Kate said...

The building's symmetry is part of its charm...as well as the photographer's skill.

brattcat said...

Well done, Doug.

Halcyon said...

Love the building. Bricks are nice!

Lori Skoog said...

Hey Virginia...I need to catch up. Doug has taken a great shot of this building that means so much to so many.

I love your banner shot and the pick for 2010. As always, I am very impressed with your work...especially your sense of composition.

Happy New Year!