Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Portrait of a Photographer


Those of you that follow this blog have heard me mention my photography buddy Bill from time to time. He kindly subbed for me last June while I was flitting around Paris. Bill and his wife Sis and I have been dear friends for many years. A seasoned photographer, he has been at it for a lot longer than I, and has (very) patiently mentored me and let me drag him all over this city on many a photo excursion (wild goose chase?). We've stomped through the briars and poison ivy in search of deserted gravesites, worked like crazy trying to photograph my 5 lively grandchildren, braved snow and freezing temps, and flirted with getting mugged in some seedy neighborhoods together. Last fall we hiked around the lake at Aldridge Gardens where I snapped this photo. It's not often you can catch another photographer without a camera in front of their face. Thanks B for letting me follow in your footsteps and tag along with you in the big white truck!

Bill's website is: Pawley's Island Photography

Election Outcome:
They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results. Well, last night the voters of Birmingham proved it one more time. Back to business as usual in City Hall. Some things never change.

26 comments:

firerobin said...

Nice photo! Good choice with the B&W.

dianasfaria.com said...

such a nice portrait. & how wonderful to have a friend & mentor in your photography endeavors too!

Chuck Pefley said...

A very pensive pose. Looks like a thoughtful guy.

Sorry your friends and neighbors are walking down the same street again ...... but I shook my head in amazement back in 2004.

Olivier said...

beau portrait, un peu nostalgique grace au b&w et a ton choix d'angle

Janet M Kincaid said...

Some times, we're the dumbest voters. Case in point: Massachusetts. I wouldn't be surprised and we'll be stupid enough to elect Sarah Palin our next president.

Oh sorry. Rant over.

Nice photo of Bill!

Pat said...

Nice to have a photo buddy. Mine is now in India--just visited her, but ain't the same if she's not around to drag with me! I think you have a lovely portrait here.

Julie said...

Yes, a lovely portrait of a fine mentor.

The news out of Boston was sobering. You can spook enough of the people when the time is ripe ...

Anonymous said...

Nice portrait. I enjoyed it and the link.

Diederick Wijmans said...

Yes, I agree with all the others. An excellent portrait!

Thérèse said...

A nice tribute to this buddy of yours!
We can feel the waiting in this picture and it's all about it in nature photography isn't it?

Thérèse said...

Sorry about the outcome of the elections...

brattcat said...

Beautiful, sensitive portrait.
As for current events, sometimes I just feel a wave of despair wash over me. This is one of those times.

alan said...

We will never learn that change is ok, as long as you know what you are changing to. People are afraid of change. Pictures are great as always and have inspired me to get a new camera ( for Christmas) and try it myself.

Jilly said...

What a tres sympa portrait, Virginia.

Halcyon said...

Nice portrait. It's good to have good friends!

Anonymous said...

Oh, sorry about the election. Wonderful portrait, though. It says so much.

Virginia said...

Alan,
I'm thrilled my photos have made you want to get out there and take photos of your own!

Rob said...

Always fun to photoshoot with others, we learn a lot from each other.

Daryl said...

I am sorry to hear that your election and the election in MA turned out so poorly ... whats really sad is even w/o MA the Dems have a majority, they need to get tough, Mr Obama needs to get tough or things will get worse

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» learned a little about the mayor's race in B'ham from another friend he has in the area. Too bad the voters decided to continue with the corruption.

As far as the results in Massachusetts go, it's obvious even that very blue state has figured out that what is being touted as "Health Care Reform" is nothing less than Marxism.

Bergson said...

c'est l'histoire de l'arroseur arrosé

Julie said...

I am glad I can share some of our warmth. You, dear lady, are about to share some of your coldth with my precious daughter who flies out to Colorado today.

http://jstorry.blogspot.com/2010/01/fourteen-weeks.html

Bob Crowe said...

Oh, but his face is hiding from us. Would that we could see the eyes that look through that lens.

Petrea Burchard said...

Change use to be as slow as glaciers. Now glaciers are melting faster than we can keep up with them.

TheChieftess said...

Love the picture V!!! You do wonderful people shots!!!

Lowell said...

Excellent portrait, V. He doth look like a photographer, scanning the horizon for something of interest to photograph!