Saturday, December 13, 2008

Winter's Fingers


Those of us lucky enough to live in Alabama during the winter months ( we are not going into summer weather!) are  spoiled rotten.  We can't relate to snow shovels, snow blowers, snow tires or any other nonsense pertaining to gobs and gobs of snow for 4-5 months of the year.  Oh every so often we have temps that dip into the 20's but by the next week, you could be taking your walk in just a sweatshirt.  Last night rumor had it we would have the dreaded "WINTER ADVISORY". Ohhhhh, will the schools close?  Will we be stranded with no bread or milk??? What ever will we do?  This morning I actually ran to the window and threw up the sash praying for some snow to help ease my photographic deficit.  Ahhhh, false alarm, nada!  I saw some frost on a few leaves but that pretty much wrapped it up.  So for those of you in the hinterlands blowing, shoveling, slipping , sliding and busting....well you know, my prayers are with you . I lived through an Iowa and a Wisconsin winter.  As we say down here, "Bless your hearts."

The Tune du Jour is "Sleigh Ride" by Amy Grant
Some of you out there may get a sleigh ride before it's all over!

Please visit my new blog


Discover Amy Grant!

12 comments:

Chuckeroon said...

...so you caught that special "big moon" phenomenon last night. We had thick cloud.

Unknown said...

It seems both of us are very happy with the mild winters he have on the places where we live, but it looks this year is not a regular one around here! If you look at the photo I took yesterday afternoon on my today post you will never realize today it's cold, it's raining, it's windy, it's grey, it's awful! A totally different scenario! Bahhhh!

John-Bryan Hopkins said...

It looks wonderful

I hope you got a good one of the moon last night!

Virginia said...

I chased the big moon all over Forest Park last night and I was totally a failure. "roon, I needed your skills to help me with it I am afraid. I looked so fabulous to the eye but alas, not on my camera.

JM, we had weather like that earlier this week. Today looks clear and cold.

Jane Hards Photography said...

I coluln't get the moon it was hidden by cloud cover. Excellent moody blues shot. Very haunting. This reminds me of my own Purple Haze shot which is still my best seller. We don't need bad eather here for low supplies, it's the norm. Lazy bar stewards can't be bothered.

Janet said...

Oh, so true, so true! Usually, all of us but the farmers are kind of excited about a winter advisory.

Tanya Breese said...

See, I'm a San Diego girl and got tired of mild winters. The last time I went Christmas shopping in shorts (2000) I told my husband, lets move somewhere that has seasons and white Christmas'. We left in the spring of 2001 to Missouri. I didn't want any super harsh winters, just a bit of snow which is what we got. Now that we are in Virginia, we are still waiting for some snow. So far, have only had flurries here and there but nothing has stuck.
Beautiful picture by the way!

PJ said...

I love photos of trees and this one is wonderful. They're nature's perpetual sculptures. I missed the moon shot as well. Grrrr!

Z said...

The tree branches give the photo a certain ethereal quality. I like it!

Rob said...

I too love these types of tree shots. The troublee with the moon is it if fickle; never really revealing itself when we desire.

As for snow, yeah, we got it! I just restocked my cigar stash. Perfect for that 2 hour smoke when I snowblow our driveway and all the neighbor's driveways. Ah, yes, winter time outdoor toys, and his cigar with a snowblower!

Virginia said...

DL, So a stogie helps make the grueling job of blowing snow a little easier? Well what does Mrs. DL smoke when she pulls that duty???

I have lived in Wisconsin and Iowa. The winters were character building. I have also lived in Ft. Lauderdale, FL with only one season. I think B'ham has them all beat.

marley said...

You should have had 'Let it snow' as your song today! Lol :)

It must have been disappointing to wake up to no snow. That happens here all the time. Most of the UK gets it and we miss out down in the south-west. One day...