Monday, December 29, 2008

TWO THINGS CHALLENGE: Real/Fake

FAUX

The REAL Deal

* I'm scooting under the deadline for Two Things this week which is my M.O.   Actually I had these before I knew what the challenge was so it all worked out.  I'll start with the FAUX (FAKE).  This is a portion of a lovely metal piece that is mounted on an arbor near the rose garden at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens.  I took this Saturday on our one gloriously warm, sunny day.  The REAL is this beautiful yellow rose that I shot last fall in the rose garden.  I hope it brightens this cold wintery day that most of you are having.

*My thanks to D.C. Confidential who chairs the prestigious Two Things Challenge for all of us, and  continually allows me to bend the rules to serve my own selfish purposes.  Click here to see how the more punctual members of the team have interpreted this week's challenge.  Each week I swear to be a better Team Two Things player but.......

Please Visit My New Blog

THE TUNE DU JOUR IS "AIN'T NOTHING LIKE  THE REAL THING"


Discover Marvin Gaye!

18 comments:

Tash said...

Ooooh, it's beautiful! Both are beautiful. The color of the "real" is so peachy and creamy. I like the comparison of the same thing too. Perfect answer to the challenge. (Isnt' it curious how the deadlines sneak up on one?...)

Diederick Wijmans said...

Tash is right. Both roses are beautiful and your winter climate seems so soft! Yesterday morning we must have had the coldest moment of the year in our area: minus 7 Celsius. I needed to use hot water to get the lock of my car unlocked.
I also visit your "Paris through my lens" and thoroughly enjoy the photos!

Unknown said...

Great choice for the real/fake thing! I like both.

Janet said...

I much prefer the real. What a luscious color!

storyteller said...

Ah ... your REAL rose looks like the ones on the bush in my yard that's blooming it's heart out right now even though I need to cut it back soon. Beautiful!
Hugs and blessings,

Jane Hards Photography said...

Interesting. Real is always best for me but if we fkae it I prefer it to be like this, an obcious one so not to mislead the viewer. The top shot could be a painting.

Rob said...

That faux rose is still a beauty!

Pat said...

Gosh, I don't know which one I would choose. Both are lovely in their own way.

Anonymous said...

Lovely. Ceci n'est pas une rose

marley said...

This is a great contrast and perfect for the challenge. I keep saying I'm going to join in but it never happens! I'm really going to try in the New Year! Just don't hold your breath! Lol

Laurie Allee said...

Beautiful choice!

Jilly said...

What a great idea. I suppose, apart from anything else, the colour of the first one gave it away. Beautiful second flower.

Julie said...

It is the comparison between the two that I found most rewarding. Good choice for the challenge, V. I am trying to c oome up with a response for the next one that straddles the New Year: New/Hope. Not easy to encapsulate in an image!

Tash said...

V. - I came across this link that you might enjoy browsing thru - he has a lot of beautful portraits like yours.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcipriani/

Virginia said...

thanks Tash. His children are especially interesting!

Marie-Noyale said...

The carving of that first rose is quite something!!
That beautiful orange rose was a fragrant one?? Can wait to smell a nice rose again..
Have you seen the temperature in Paris these days ? it's colder than New York!!!

Virginia said...

M-N,
Yes,, Peter went to photograph the frozen fountains today and it had warmed up a touch and he found some ice but not what I think he was hoping for. It must be unusual weather for Paris. Ours last week went from freezing to 70's! Tell us all about meeting Olivier.
V

Thérèse said...

It reminds me of the Chinese tale of the blue rose...