Monday, December 22, 2008

Ho Ho Arrives at Triangle Park!




" Look, do see Rudolph up there in the sky?"

It happens faithfully the Sunday before Christmas.  Residents and friends gather in Forest Park's Triangle Park to enjoy hot cider and donut holes and await the magical sound of .... not sleigh bells... but the sound of the sfire truck's siren.  THAT'S how Santa arrives!  There are squeals of excitement and delight and Santa climbs out throwing fistfuls of candy to the awaiting crowd.  This is usually followed by the wails of some frantic toddlers when they realize Santa is actually going to mingle with the crowd.  That is to be expected.  There is always a rousing version of "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" sung by Santa and his adoring throng. Santa works the crowd and listens to every wish.  An added attraction is the fire truck and the wonderfully patient fire fighters that serve as Santa's helpers.  Many thanks to the Clairmont Avenue Fire Dept. for making this such a wonderful neighborhood event each year. I am departing from my usual one or two photos today because, well I had so many cute ones I couldn't choose and there are only a few days left to cram these in. HO HO HO!

Cute cousins await Santa's arrival

" Santa I'm down here"

" Hey, that dog looks like me!"

The Tune du Jour is "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" by the one and only Gene Autrey

Please visit my new blog



Discover Gene Autry!

23 comments:

Pat said...

Sometimes Santa used to come down our street in a firetruck when I was little. Kids would run out and get a small box of goodies. Once I was sick and couldn't go, and he brought it to the door!

angela said...

Santa arrives in a helicopter here on the primary school playing field.

That first photo is superb, the look on that little girl's face. It reminds me of those delicately coloured old Christmas cards, possibly Victorian or Edwardian.

angela said...

PS There's a cadeau de noel waiting for you in Nice!

Diederick Wijmans said...

Lovely photos, Virginia!! Really lovely!

Although I have sent you my very best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year, I do it here again: My very best wishes to you and your family!!

Janet Kincaid said...

These are gorgeous photos, especially the one of the little girl looking up at Santa. What a fun!

Merry Christmas!

John-Bryan Hopkins said...

Cute Cute Cute!

The puppy is adorable too!

Janet said...

The magic has begun!

D said...

So cute! I'm glad you're posting them all. Love the tune of the day.
It's not really Christmas till we get out the Gene Autrey record!

Tanya Breese said...

What adorable photos! That first one is priceless!
When we lived in San Diego we'd always go to Sea World to see Santa's arrival at the Shamu Show. He'd show up in a helicopter or motorcycle, it was always a surprise how he'd get there, then he'd light the Christmas Tree. It was always a tradition for us! No Sea World here in Virginia so we make do with new traditions!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Thérèse said...

Magic Virginia, magic!
How is it possible not to believe in Santa?

Knoxville Girl said...

all this cuteness just sleighs me.

Virginia said...

Knox,
Oh that's a good one! My grandmother use to use that phrase! I through the dog in just to send Wayne over the edge with my cuteness! hee hee

Blognote,
Grazie! This will be a special Christmas indeed for you and your family. Enjoy!
V

PJ said...

I can just hear those squeals and feel the excitement from the fire truck arriving. Did you sit in Santa's lap this year, Virginia?

I love the red truck in your previous post. I'm glad you were able to finally get your fix.

Anonymous said...

You're right, you live in a great place.

Wayne said...

I've just felt a spike in my blood sugar and I'm feeling a bit dizzy.

The little one in the purple parka is perfect.

alice said...

I thought I let a message but I don't know where it is...Grrr!
You have really have a gift for taking lovely children in photos...These smiles! We can know how old they are just counting their teeth!
And I love your red truck, I would want to see you behind the wheel!

alice said...

"You really have" would be enought, I think...

Anonymous said...

Virginia - Even though I've been late getting started this year YOU are getting me right in the thick of things AND I LOVE IT! I LOVE the children and Santa but I LOVE the little doggie as well - looks like my own Annie! All my best wishes to you and your family for a wonderful Christmas and great 2009! (and selfishly to the rest of us for the wonderful pics we will see from you as a result - lucky us!)

Jane Hards Photography said...

You leave me no room for double entendre or sarky remarks with all this cuteness. Tell me I SEE A DOG reflected in this one or I really going bananas.

Ken Mac said...

awaiting Sinatra's arrival? OH....waiting for Santa...now I get it...:)

Bob Crowe said...

Is Santa's beard a piece of solid plastic or some kind of weird nylon mesh? The girl looks like she's staring at the approaching Mother Ship. I must be getting tired.

Virginia said...

OH Geez Bob,
You are sounding just like Ebeneezer Scrooge. Go have a stiff eggnog and feel the love! Santa's watching you know.

KM, Oh and it took me all afternoon to figure your comment out. You guys are wearing me out. It's Christmas for pete sake. We need some warm fuzziness around here. I see you broke down and put a pooch on your post KM. Now Wayne's whining about our cute factor. Give me strength!
V

Laurie Allee said...

Hey, pour me a cup of that eggnog!

These are wonderful, Virg. Just gorgeous and so festive. HO HO HO!