Monday, August 11, 2008

Eddie Kendrick, a Birmingham Legend

Eddie Kendrick, lead singer for the fabulous Temptations was a Birmingham boy.  He never forgot his roots and we  have not forgotten him!  The Eddie Kendrick Memorial Park is located on 4th Avenue North within blocks of the Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame and the Civil Rights Institute.  It's a lovely small,shady, well kept park.  Eddie is center stage.  Artist Ron McDowell captured his lively stage presence and spirit perfectly.  The other four members of the group show off their legendary choreography in the background.  I am a long time fan and  always have wished I had been able to see them perform in person.  Standing in front of that granite stage, I felt like I finally got my chance.  What a lovely tribute to Eddie and his legendary career. Hometown boy makes good.  He certainly did and aren't we proud!


Note: Kendrick is the family's name.  Early in his career an "s" was added.  The park uses the family spelling.

TOMORROW: Portraits From My Heart II

15 comments:

Eki said...

Hi V,
You could tell your grandson that we don't always play it in that kind of bubble thing. It was set up for safety reason because they played it on the street.

BTW, those sculpture/statues really look expressive (the posture and everything.).

Kris McCracken said...

I never knew that Eddie Kendrick was from Birmingham. I love the Temptations, Birmingham can be very proud!

Olivier said...

c'est une superbe sculpture, j'adore "The Temptations" (j'aimais les chanson avec Diana Ross).
Hier on a appris la mauvaise nouvelle de la mort d'un autre grand de la chanson : Isaac Hayes.

it's a great sculpture, I love "The Temptations" (I liked the song with Diana Ross).
Yesterday we learned the bad news of the death of another great song: Isaac Hayes.

Virginia said...

Apparently i have not nailed down adding two photos. My first three friends didn't get the whole picture this morning. Sorry guys. I knew folks in the US would remember Eddie but it's wonderful to know he and the Temptations were loved around the world.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos of special pieces.

Unknown said...

My Girl, one of my all time favorite songs. I never knew much about the history and roots of the Temptations though.

Just remember listening in the car on the AM radio in the metal dashboard -- the ones with the sharp knobs that they later banned.

angela said...

Gosh I remember the Temptations. The sculpture is excellent..they really do look like they're performing.

Laurie Allee said...

What a fantastic tribute. Thanks for showing it to us, Virginia. Seems like a lot of talented musicians were from Birmingham!

Valerie said...

being a transplant, I really appreciate your blog and how you shown me a side of the city I've lived in for the last 9 years but really don't know much about!

Anonymous said...

I discovered your blog this week. Very nice! I live outside Atlanta, but my daughter went to Jacksonville State and married a boy she met there from north Jefferson County. She has been teaching in your county for over a decade. I'm going to tell her about your informative blog; maybe she'll get some ideas for field trips for some of her classes.

What a great idea for a blog!

Ming the Merciless said...

Awesome statue. It definitely captured the style and movement of The Temptations.

D said...

Fitting tribute for musical genius!

Virginia said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I know his family, and I am sure you remarks will warm their hearts as well. An added note: The artist Ron McDowell was the artist for the sculpture at Kelly Ingram Park that I posted about a week ago. He is from Tuskeegee, Alabama!

Jane Hards Photography said...

What a wonderful tribute statue. A classic band, timeless songs. It is always good to see who the famous sons and daughters are of our hometowns.

In my case the other Birmingham one would be Ozzy Ozbourne. So far no statues to the Prince Of Darkness.

Anonymous said...

Love the broad view photo -- very very cool memorial.