Sunday, December 20, 2009

Angels We Have Heard on High

( A rehearsal, so the cute Converse sneakers were allowed!)

One of the hightlights of the Christmas season for me is attending the Service of Lessons and Carols presented by the Advent Episcopal Day School in downtown Birmingham. I'll admit I'm partial, two of my five granchildren attend the Day School. Rick and Suzanne Philips, the music directors for the 4K through 8th grade do a fantastic job.

Today a photograph from a rehearsal shortly before Lessons and Carols. This is the Choral Ensemble, an elite choir of students chosen from grades 4-8. Nationally recognized, they are as professional as any choir you will ever hear! The entire student body participates in the service, and I regret you cannot hear an audio clip but you can order CD's of the choir here.

DON'T FORGET !
I am giving away a Paris Through My Lens 2010 Calendar on my Paris Blog. Leave a comment there and let my know why you'd like to win! Bonne chance mes amis. Drawing is Christmas Eve.

17 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

I was just singing this tonight with my honey, but we didn't look this sweet.

Jim said...

This is great. Thanks for sharing.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Thérèse said...

The shoe is the only thing I see :)

brattcat said...

Great title, I has hearing their high lovely voices in my head as I scrolled down and that angelic child was revealed and then continued to scroll until I reached her sneaker. This is such a great shot!

Leif Hagen said...

Bonjour Virginia! What a wonderful photo for advent! Our oldest daughter sings in the Schola Cantorum at church and we had our Lessons and Carols last week! Happy Advent regards from EAGAN daily photo
Joyeux Noel!

Virginia said...

Oh Leif,
I thank thank you for the Advent wishes! I wish you could hear this choir and the entire school sing. Just amazing. Merci,

Brattcat,
Knew you would like this one. I had a better shot of just her feet that was precious but too blurry to use!

Petrea,
You and J might should audition for this choir! :)

Thérèse, HA!

J Bar, and a happy summer to you all!

Louis la Vache said...

Excellent capture of the spirit of their singing, Virginia!...and the sneakers: automatic smile!
;-)

«Louis» would love to hear them!

Anonymous said...

I wish you'd quit getting everyone's hopes up about the calendar when we already know who's going to win. Wink, wink.

Julie said...

I can see that it would be tempting to go for the sneaker full-frontal, but the low light would defeat me, too. I must go and get a f1.8 as a pressie for myself.

Lovely shot, nonetheless, VJ.

Kate said...

Children's choirs are special!

marley said...

Yes, love the footwear! lol!

TheChieftess said...

Love this shot V!!! They do look so angelic!!! I'm sorry she can't wear the sneakers for the final performance...they're classic!!!

Virginia said...

Hiker,
So may I assume the check is in the mail???

Julie, The sneaker shot was fab, but couldn't use it. I hate blur!!!

Rob said...

finally I found an instance for the use of a DSLR with HD video capabilities. Still, I can't afford it.

Bob Crowe said...

Oh, my. I used to sing that in the Catholic school choir uncountable decades ago. The sneakers look good with the robe, though.

B SQUARED said...

If I wore those to church when I was growing up, the nuns would condemn me to that place far below. How the times have changed.

Janet said...

Too cute!