Friday, December 18, 2009

We Finally Meet Charlie Lucas in Person!



Wednesday was my lucky day. I was invited to a friend's home to meet nationally known Alabama folk artist, Charlie Lucas! Charlie, also known as the Tin Man, was up from his home near Montgomery to install this piece of sculpture in their yard. Avid art collectors, they have many pieces of Charlie's work. What a nice man. He took me all around the yard and talked about his sculpture. If his name sounds familiar, you've read about him here and here and here. Don't worry, I'll have more photos to share!

Paris Through My Lens 2010 Calendar giveaway!
Leave a comment on my Paris Blog telling me why you would like to win one of my new calendars, and I'll put your name in the hat for the drawing on Christmas Eve! Want to see each and every month or purchase hundreds for all of your dearest amis?? Click on the calendar in the white box on the right sidebar!

Charlie points out a piece from an old wagon that he thinks may have been made by his grandfather.

15 comments:

Bergson said...

I do not feel like such a statue at home

Tash said...

Nice to see the super talented artist. Well done, V.

Olivier said...

superbe création, de quoi faire peur ;)

brattcat said...

What a beautiful portrait, V.

Virginia said...

Olivier,
Non, juste un cheval! :)

Bergson , Really!

Brattcat, You know some people you meet are just so easy to capture. He was so open and friendly and it shows.

Tash,
Thanks!

B SQUARED said...

I love this kind of art.

Daryl said...

What a handsome man and so talented ..

Anonymous said...

I love his work. Thanks for the introduction. Now I'm off to win a calendar.

Virginia said...

B2.
I thought you might!

Daryl,
Such a friendly man!

Hiker,
You just do that . Bon Chance! :)

Janet said...

So glad you finally got to meet him, Virginia!

TheChieftess said...

He looks just delightful!!! How fun to have the artist discuss his pieces with you...you lucky girl!!!

Lowell said...

He does look like a nice person. And very skilled. I'm not sure I'd want one of those sculptures in my yard, but to each his own. I certainly wish him well and I'm glad to hear that he is nationally recognized for his artistic talents.

Bob Crowe said...

Well, about time! I've enjoyed your pictures of his work. He and his sculpture all radiate the same warmth.

Petrea Burchard said...

This man's a talent. I think this is my favorite piece so far.

-K- said...

I agree, its a great portrait and a great example of his work.