Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Dia de los Muertos Festival




Oh this was my second visit to the Bare Hands Gallery for the fabulous Dia de los Muretos Festival ( Day of the Dead Festival). This time we arrived at sunset so the multi-colored lights and candles lighting the many shrines were just magical. There is something for everyone here, crafts for the kids, live music, free food and beverages and the colorful and oh so special altars to loved ones. We missed the parade, but I'm definitely staying for that next year. The very best part you ask? That's the walk through the back hallway of the gallery that is decorated from floor to ceiling with lights and altars and memorabilia honoring dear friends and relatives. A celebration on this day of lives well lived.

( I'm embarrassed to admit my battery died halfway through, and I didn't bring my backpack along. I know, don't say it. I'm full of regret.)

Note: What a grand evening. I met up with some former teachers that I haven't seen since I retired, and a Facebook friend that I had not met in person. We recognized each other immediately! Then once inside Bare Hands Gallery, I met an employee that follows this blog as well. I'll be going back to the gallery for more photos and information about this great place!


We had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with a Frida Kalo "look alike".

16 comments:

Pat said...

What beautiful shots....I can only imagine those you didn't take due to 'dead' battery! (Day of the Dead, after all.) I actually have four batteries, but keep recharging the same one, and don't stick a spare in my purse. How dumb; why not?

Janet said...

Plenty of lights and "Inaction!"

Thérèse said...

That's the kind of festival I would love to go... we do have celebrations over here though.
Detailing the shrines and have a guess at who the person was is a way of honoring this very person, it's something I like to do.

Jilly said...

This was obviously amazing. I particularly love that first photograph. You won't forget your battery pack again, Virginia! Have to say tho you captured some great images regardless and how super you met up with friends.

Anonymous said...

Hah! I just learned about Catrina, the Day of the Dead good time gal who is always up for a party. Can't keep a good girl down -- not all 365 days a year anyway.

The top photo is brilliant.

Daryl said...

That is one 'holiday' we dont seem to celebrate here in NYC ... not sure why .. looks like it was a super evening

amatamari© said...

Ah wonderful!

PJ said...

It's like a graphic novel, they really know how to get their point across. You did a great job, V. Wish I had been there.

Bob Crowe said...

Bizarre, over-the-top, and far more elaborate than what we had here. Not many comments by your estimable standards. I guess the blog world isn't into the more morbid and humorous parts of Mexican culture.

BTW, I love Frida Kalo.

Virginia said...

Bob,
Who knows. Comments come and comments go.....!!
If I'd had an extra battery tucked in my ......um shirt, I'd have had a fine photo of the Frida look alike. Get that camera strap out and slap me around. I'll not do that again. It really is a fun time and the decorations etc. are as you said, over the top.
V

Cloudia said...

Alabama looking good.



Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Anonymous said...

What did Frieda have to say? Was she pleased that Salma Hayek got to play her in a movie role instead of Madonna?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Anonymous said...

you might enjoy this

http://vimeo.com/2815889

marley said...

How fantastic! You've captured the atmosphere brilliantly. It looks like great fun.

Virginia said...

PA,
Thanks for that cool video.

Cloudia and Marl,
Thanks

Maya said...

Gah! I hate when that battery thing happens! At least you got some great shots first.