Monday, November 16, 2009

Forgotten Resting Places



Saturday my friend Bill drug me all over ( you saw one example on yesterday's post). Another stop was on the Shannon Wenonah Road. When he pulled over on the side of the road and stopped the truck I looked at him and said, " Why are we stopping here, B ?" . His answer, "There's a really old cemetery over there." May I just say right here that "over there" was nothing but woods! Well my photo coffers are low, so I gamely jumped out and climbed a small embankment and started stomping through leaves, limbs, sticker vines etc. Did I fail to mention that I had on my really cute yellow flats that were not condusive to a hike in the woods? Well he was right. There were about 6 grave markers spread over a wide area. Most of the graves in this site have been moved to other locations by the families. The few that were remaining were simple but lovely . Today a few. The gorgeous red leaves in the banner were shot here as well.

17 comments:

Pat said...

You know, when I was a child in Pa., I knew of a place where were really old tombstones from the 1880's, just all out in the woods. I can only hope they've been saved now. Your photo is lovely.

Olivier said...

une promenade dans ce vieux cimetière, j'aime tes photos , dans un sens elles redonnent vie a ces deux vieilles tombent

brattcat said...

Tender shot, V. I'll be thinking all day about 9 year old William.

B SQUARED said...

Too young, but not uncommon then.

Anonymous said...

Lost and found. Perfect shot for the middle of fall.

Jilly said...

Beautiful shots, Virginia. So sad to see a child's gravestone. There are many in Menton's cemetery when so many died of tuberculosis.

DIGITAL WORLD PAGES ARCHIVE said...

So sad to see .., but it is impressive photo

marley said...

I like the vision of you hiking in your yellow flats!

It looks a nice final resting place, its nice that some famillies didn't move their loved ones remains. Though probably they weren't around to do it. Any how, lovely photos V.

Maya said...

Don't you just love cemeteries? I'm sure it was worth tromping around in your yellow flats!

Owen said...

From one who loves to wander in old cemeteries, this post is pure pleasure... what a beautiful place that must be off in the woods there, hallowed ground... hallowed photos...

Lowell said...

I'm a fan of old cemeteries, too...actually, I like all cemeteries...

One can sure tell fall has fallen there...so many leaves. And such an interesting tombstone...the "good old days" were not so good when it came to disease.

Rob said...

Well spotted, now these souls are no longer forgotten.

A good reminder, strap on a pair of hiking shoes to your camera bag. We can't go off into the woods in yellow pumps, ya know.

Petrea Burchard said...

A wonderful discovery. I hope you have more pictures. These are beautiful.

MadAboutParis said...

See Virg - you're hooked now! I plan to take you to the Pet Cemetery outside of Paris...whoohoo!
xx,
M

Virginia said...

Mar,
Oh lordy. I knew it. Can we compromise on Pére Lachaise??
xx
v

PJ said...

I think this setting is wonderful, the autumn leaves with the headstones are a perfect pairing and not often seen. My grandparents are buried in such a place out in the woods in rural New York and I love it.

FireLight said...

V, I really enjoy seeing old cemeteries and studying the headstones. In fact, I have meant to tell you about one that sits just behind the Summit. It is called the Standpipe Cemetery. Many of my relatives are buried there. In fact, my great grandfather gave the land for this little Methodist burial ground. He is buried there. It has some really interesting stonesand stories.
Email me, and I can tell you how to find it.