Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Open Door

Shotgun House
Sloss Furnaces

One remaining "shotgun house" from the days when African American workers at Sloss Furnaces lived in "company housing" which was a community of these type homes called "The Quarters". Located just outside the entrance to Sloss Furnaces next to Duncan House. Duncan House was moved from Tarrant City and now houses the Sloss Historical Society. Not original to the site, it represents the type of housing "middle management" might have had in other Birmingham neighborhoods. Last Sunday I found the back door open and I believe it has been used as a safe haven for the homeless recently, judging from the clothing etc. I saw inside.

Duncan House
Sloss Furnaces

15 comments:

TheChieftess said...

As I understand it V, shotgun houses got the colloquial name because they were constructed in such a way that if you stood in the front doorway and shot your shotgun, the pellets would fly straight through the house and out the back door...

Great shots Virginia!

Pat said...

That top photo tells such a tale...

Olivier said...

la première photo est magnifique, très intimiste comme photo je trouve, bravo

brattcat said...

A very fine b&w study, V. Full of telling details.

Thérèse said...

The view speaks for itself on the first picture.
"Shotgun house" what a strange name for a house which made me click on the link...

Halcyon said...

I'm glad the house has found a second use for the homeless. Very interesting history as well.

Char said...

It does look as though someone has made a new home. Great shot.

Anonymous said...

That top photo is something else.

I've also heard they're called railroad houses, I believe because a train could go in the front door and straight out the back.

Daryl said...

Lots of these in N'awlins .. the light is perfect!

marley said...

I love how the doors lead you further and further into the photo. And the peeling paint!

Ken Mac said...

that flash of light....wow, excellent composition V

PJ said...

Nice catch, V. There's a house near me where I think someone is living very quietly under the radar and I don't have a single problem with that.

Lowell said...

Nice shooting, V. Methinks we have some old shotgun houses here in Florida.

Or maybe we have houses where people got shotgunned. Especially in Orlando!

lodolite said...

what a beautiful light!
ciao simona

VP said...

I like this set, but that first image is really great!