Sunday, January 11, 2009

Charles Moore, Capturing Powerful Images



 Friday night I had the privilege of meeting one of Alabama's renowned photographers.  Jennifer Hunt Gallery hosted a reception and book signing honoring Charles Moore,  best known for his civil rights and LIFE magazine photography.  His powerful photographs chronicling the civil rights movement in the south is sobering and will bring tears to your eyes.  I lived through it right here in Birmingham, and I can tell you that he has captured that moment in our history in a compelling way.  What an honor to meet him and view his historic photographs!  His book, Powerful Days- The Civil Rights Photography of Charles Moore, is a book you will want to add to our library. 

14 comments:

Wayne said...

Another outstanding portrait.

Pat said...

Agree with Wayne. I've heard of this man, and like his work.

Jane Hards Photography said...

I have several of his images dotted about my photo books. He's the kind of photographer that personally all jokes and blog images aisde I admire. Real and life changing. Excellent catch with his won work behind.

Janet Kincaid said...

Gorgeous portrait, Virginia! Very well composed and framed. And what a privilege to meet such a renowned chronicler of a pivotal time in American history. Apropos as well, given the events that are about to take place in our nation in little more than a week. Very cool.

Walker said...

Nicely done.

Bob Crowe said...

Good job. Warm, open face, penetrating eyes and - literally - a slice of a dark part of your city's history. Very well composed.

Anonymous said...

What a stunning portrait - he looks so warm and smiley.

Janet said...

Great picture of him, Virginia.
I lived through the Movement in another Alabama town; in fact, the courthouse was right across the street from my house, and we were on Main Street. Too bad I never thought to get out my little Kodak Instamatic camera. I was too busy taking pictures of my cats!

airplane5312 said...

A privilege indeed, and a great shot of him too.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Ramsey Daily Photo- Facebook group. I have been challenged to get 100,000 to join. Spread the word.

Virginia said...

B.
Love you, but my blogs suck the life out of me. No time for Facebook as much as I would love to .
V

Marie-Noyale said...

He seems a very nice man and you are getting really GOOD with the portraits my dear friend!!!

Virginia said...

M-N,
High praise from you mon amie! Merci!
V

Victor said...

A wonderful portrait with his immediately recognizable image in the background. Bravo V!