Friday, January 23, 2009

Skater's Paradise


I've noted that many of the CDP bloggers are experiencing a photo deficit.  I feel their pain.  I have been dumpster diving for photos for what seems like months.  Today's photo is from last fall's Art Walk.  This morning while doing a little "office cleaning ",  I found the business card of this artist so I can finally share this photo.  During Art Walk, artists were housed in various businesses, lofts and many on the streets of downtown Birmingham. Faith Skates, skateboard store was the perfect spot for Joseph Longoria's vibrant muscian portraits.  They have so much movement and energy they seem to jump right off the canvas.  I loved his Elvis against the backdrop of all the funky skateboards!   As a side note, I had never been in a skateboard store in my life.  I guess the kids have to buy them somewhere,  but I never gave it much thought! The brick walls were lined with all these colorful boards and there were shoes and wheels, and I guess everything you need in order to go out there and try and break your neck!

The Tune du Jour is "Don't Be Cruel" by Elvis of course!



Discover Elvis Presley!

18 comments:

Wayne said...

Elvis? Elvis who? Never heard of 'im.

alice said...

Perfect title! I've tried when I was 20 and I don't know how but I didn't break my neck (just my ankle, ha ha!).

Pat said...

Ah, skateboards, the urban surfboard. I love the way these can be individualized.

Photo deficit?! Just because I photograph a cross-section of a purple cabbage?! Ha, ha. I know what you mean, though. For a few icky days here, I didn't venture out much, other than to and from school!

Olivier said...

le King n'est pas mort, la preuve il est encore présent dans les magasins pour les jeunes skatters.


King is not dead, the evidence is still in shops for young skatters.

D said...

Who knew skateboards were canvases for artwork? Love that Elvis portrait too!

Rob said...

Colorful and artsy, even kids love art.

Janet said...

Oh, the memories! My brother made me a homemade skateboard from a pair of old skates and plywood. These skateboards are really swanky!

Thérèse said...

Broken poards make a superb ceiling border in one of my three skateboarders sons... and I won't tell you how many time I went to the hospital... lol
Elvis is watching.

Jilly said...

If this is dumpster digging, Virginia, I like it! Super photos. Ah, Elvis...

Jane Hards Photography said...

I'm diving due to the weather. Poor baby(Nikon) is not allowed out in the rain. Recent archives though. I like Olivier's thoughts on why the King isn't dead. I wonder if he would approve if alive? I'm sure he's approve of the nifty arty angles though.

Anonymous said...

Funny how so many of you photo artistes are grabbing for colors these days. Must be retaliation against the gray skies.

How come bulldogs can skateboard and I can't?

marley said...

Colourful photos. You didn't decided to take up skateboarding after your visit then!

I think the lack of photos is due to January. It is such a down feeling month after December and the festivities. Roll on Feb and spring (I hope!)

Bob Crowe said...

I think I like the wall full of skateboards the best, not that I have anything against Elvis. There's great color and rhythm in that shot. BTW, Faith Skates is a hilarious name for this kind of store. O ye of little faith...

Virginia said...

Marley,
Uh, that would be a big fat NO. I have trouble just walking and chewing gum at the same time. Thanks for the positive spin. Yes, bring on spring. It feels like it here now. It's wonderful after the cold and rain we've had.

AH,
Can Albert skateboard? I'll bet he can. When he comes down here to see me I'll buy him one with mice on it.

Well I never counted on so many "skateboard/bloggers" were out there. Who knew!

Ken Mac said...

so when does our Cheyenne arrive?

Ken Mac said...

V-- I'll do it!

alan said...

Your pictures are really good! I live in the area and I think your pictures are better than seeing the places in person!! Thank you for showing Birmingham for whay it really is... beautiful.
alan

Virginia said...

Alan,
Thanks for stopping by again. I appreciate your comments. That's what I seek to do , portray Birmingham as the beautiful city it is.
V