Friday, January 2, 2009

One Hundred Strangers....a real challenge Part I







Many of you that have followed this blog know that I embarked on an unofficial 100 Strangers Challenge last summer. For the official version check out this Flickr site. The purpose of the challenge is to encourage photographers to hone their street photography skills as well as become more at ease approaching strangers and taking their photograph. I'll be honest. I can pretty much talk to anyone, but approaching a stranger and having some type of interaction with them before taking their photograph ( a challenge requirement ) was hard for me at first. I am making progress, but what I need to really focus on now is setting up my shots and taking the portrait beyond just a "head shot". I have heard from some of you that you are interested in the project as well. I have decided to take a few days here and there and post some of my portraits that I have not previously shown. I have chosen not to include names or where they were taken in order to protect privacy. If I can be of any help, please contact me by email.

Please visit my new blog- click below

The Tune du Jour is "Walk On By" by Dionne Warwick


Discover Dionne Warwick!

16 comments:

Katie said...

These are really amazing portraits Virginia! I can't wait to see more of your photos from this series. I'm sure that by the time your reach 100 your ability to interact with strangers before taking your photos will be second nature. Best of luck with this and a very happy New Year taking all sorts of photos!

angela said...

Your ease with people shines through in your photo portraits, Virginia. I think this will provide us with some fascinating photos to view.
Out of these three it's got to be the last..he reminds me of those sexy Gauloise advertisements..yes, cigarettes, I know, but that was back in the days when smoking was supposed to be sexy!

RoeH said...

I love photos of just ordinary people. The stories their faces tell. I'd like to do that but I'm not sure I have the nerve to ask people to let me photoraph them. No...I'm sure. And I don't.

Jilly said...

These are marvellous, Virginia. I particularly love the first and third. The first is great, he's so relaxed and you've really captured him.

Given my life again, I'd love to be a photojournalist. Bit late now...

abc said...

Interesting project and challenging. Great portraits displayed here.

Kate said...

I feel the same way as Jilly re. what "might have been." Actually, that is exactly what I wanted to do, use both images and words. And, so it goes. I love the top photo. Since I have never had problems talking to strangers, which I attribute to former employment as a flight attendant--long ago--and education with adolescents; perhaps 100 strangers might be something of interest for me. I'll contact you later. Best for 2009 again!!

Rob said...

Love your portrait shots, V, thy are top notch work. I still struggle with portraits but still try.

Anonymous said...

I love this concept. And I like the way the first guy looks back with such honesty.

D said...

Happy New Year!
These are beautiful. The eyes of the first man are just piercing. So, do you ask their permission and tell them it's for a blog?

marley said...

I wish I was brave enough to do this. I just don't think I could ask a stranger. Your photos in this series have been really interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Janet Kincaid said...

VJ: I love your portraits of everyday people and am excited to see more of them here. Your portraits from Paris are also exquisite!

Perhaps one thing you could do is provide tips to those of us who are interested in doing something like this (or who are already engaging in this like I am) on how to approach folks and photograph them.

Jane Hards Photography said...

You know I think people are your forte anyway so for you this project is ideal and a fabulous way to have fun and hone those skills. Obviously I'm a sucker for the mono head bowed image. The profile view is a nice touch too. Watching with interest.

Virginia said...

DC,
I have a tip sheet from Teppo at Flickr that I am happy to send to anyone interested. It's excellent.
V

Thérèse said...

I am not quite here yet...
Tips from Teppo are great.
And your own challenge seems to be on a good track.

Bob Crowe said...

The irony of the first picture is the golfer on the man's shirt. Hard to imagine him delicately balancing his putter on the 16th green. My favorite, though, is the third. It seems honest and direct. The subject has a hard life and turns his face away from us, perhaps from depression. This one has the most character come through.

Lauriane said...

Beautiful pictures!! I like them very much! Congratulations! =)